THVS - Plague Widows

THVS - Plague Widows

I first came across Belfast trio THVS via Facebook, wherein a colleague of mine decreed them to be “RAD!!!!” Not long after, I had the opportunity to listen to their newest EP Plague Widows (You can tell a lot from the name). I decided to partake in this opportunity. After all, I’ve never been one to refute such an endorsement.

Before even listening, I was drawn to, and a little disgusted by, the sleeve cover, which seemed to be a negative colouring of an X-ray of some sort. My mind flashed back to the equally creepy sleeve of Massive Attacks Mezzanine (a magnified snapshot of an insect. Like a car crash, in that it is both horrifying and yet oddly magnetising). With a shudder, I pulled my eyes over to the now buffered opening song Mayblood. I began to see a theme develop in their dictation.

Describing themselves as ‘cathartic, visceral… and intense” on social media, I find myself unable to disagree. This distortion heavy brand of hard rock lacks a razor edge, instead opting for a sledgehammer approach to music. Screeching vocals back up a scathing attack, which itself is fuelled by a combustion engine that runs on gritty, thick guitar riffs. An insidious creep oozes from the acoustics, conjuring an image of some malevolent mass surging towards the listener. This full-throttle approach does not allow for much manoeuvrability which somehow does not matter. Music such as this has a singular approach and focus, to be as loud and purgative as possible. THVS fulfil this well.


Pounding drums, shredded guitar and vocals that would seem more comfortable in a war cry. All crucial elements in the makeup of THVS, and more than enough to solidify them as one of the more escaping bands on the hardcore scene.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stayne - Parachute

Stone Broken, Those Damn Crows + Baleful Creed - 10th February 2019

The Hunna - Dare